There are so many benefits you can reap when you forgive others. I will put them into five categories:
1. Forgiving others frees us from the consequences of not forgiving. When we forgive we avoid all the consequences we have previously discussed and more.
2. Forgiving others makes healing possible. When we learn to forgive, God forgives us and cleanses us. And through that cleansing process He thoroughly heals us of all the pain that our anger, bitterness and resentment have caused us. Moreover He heals us from disgust and rejection we feel from ourselves (from bad habits) and from others. His cleansing and healing process is so complete that we will feel like a new person (2 Cor. 5:17).
3. Forgiving others leads to the growth of relationships. What not forgiving has done to destroy relationships, forgiveness will do to develop and nurture relationships. And that is because when we forgive others God works in us to restore our emotional health and our ability to love and care for others.
4. Forgiveness makes fellowship with God possible. This is the main benefit of our forgiving. It is such a great benefit that all others seem nonexistent in comparison. In fact, in the end, our fellowship with God will be all that matters.
5. Forgiving others makes power with God possible. Oh my brothers and sisters, how God longs to give us His power. If we don’t forgive, His power remains locked up inside of Him. But when we forgive, He in turn hands us the key to His own mighty power. Then, whenever we choose, we can use it to unlock any of the promises of His grace. For He has said to us, “If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you” (Jn. 15:7).
Very well said
Great post 😁
This is a really well said post! I definitely agree to #3. I have associates that won’t forgive me no matter how many times I apologize. So I have definitely seen #3 in my own life. But why do you think it is so hard for people to forgive others?
People don’t forgive because it’s easier. Forgiving is having to lay aside our pride and our fear. That’s hard. For many, keeping the separation is safer. If keeps them in control they think. But forgiving is always the godly way. To forgive we have to trust God. And it is always the blessed way. It keeps your relationship with God sweet.
That is true. I noticed that you quoted certain scriptures. I have found this scripture that talks about honesty also. It is at Proverbs 12:22, it says: “Lying lips are detestable to God, but those acting faithfully bring pleasure to him.” Besides making other people happy when tell them the truth, who else does this scripture say you make happy?
Thanks for commenting. And contributing.
Reblogged this on Stephen Nielsen.